Thursday, May 7, 2026

Hangtime


Galatians 6:7-8

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

___________________________________________________________________________

The word hangtime has various meanings. One of the more or most popular may be in reference to a football. When the quarterback throws the ball from the end zone to a receiver at the 50 yard line, that's definitely good hangtime. Especially if the receiver catches it. The phrase is used from sista to sista when either one of them has pretty, silky long hair.

“Girl, you have some nice hangtime!” Then the party that the compliment was intended for whips her mane back and forth, smiles and struts off.

Another use of the word is during girl talk and the conversation is on 10 and lit!

“Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrllll…that negro has serious hangtime and he knows how to use it!”

“Say what now?”

“Every.Single.Inch…”

“Uhm…”

I have the attention span of lint, so let me get back on track…

What you put into your thing is what you get out of your thing. You reap what you sow. Faith without works is dead. Works without faith is dead. My daddy said it best, though. “Keep chippin’ at it, babygirl. Just keep chippin’.”

I believe one previous mistake I’ve made a few times (yes you can make the same mistake twice in different settings) is trying to include the excludable in my life. We all have gifts that He designed specifically for us. It’s up to you to work what He gave you, and if Mr. and Mrs. Always Got Something Negative To Say Because They Just Can’t Get Right And Don’t Not Nobody Want Their Dried Up Miserable Wake Up Every Day Mad Self ‘Cause They Are The Lead Role In Their All Day Nightmare, then oh well.

Tendencies tend to plague me from time to time. What did I just write? I tend to forget what my passion and my gift are. At 60, I’m still working on a good work/life balance. Currently, work  has a little leeway – eh, maybe 70%, but I promised myself to actively work on that.

The word hangtime popped in my mind this past Sunday. I received an email from Lightning Source Print on Demand Wholesale Sales, the printer that I use for Miss Luv’s Books, MY publishing company (as if I’ve never said that before J) Folks bought my books that were published in 2008! I always say there is no such thing as an old book, just new readers. Miss Luv’s Books has hangtime!

God blessed me with a reminder. I thought of how I’d work during the day and write half of the night. How I drove to so many comedy clubs in NYS and even ventured to Canada. I got a parking ticket in Canada, but I digress... Do I want to do that now? No. I do want to work my gift and my passion. Seems like I need to figure a few things out.

Miss Luv’s Books and Miss WandaLuv are still hanging around. Yah’ll just don’t know what that sales report did for me. I’ve tripped myself up over the years, yet what I put into my thing – faith, belief, other folks aggravation and work, is still out there making it do what it’s supposed to do. I’ll gladly accept that hangtime.

What is your thing? How much hangtime do you have? Is it for you or for someone else? There is nothing wrong with celebrating, supporting or encouraging others. That’s what we’re supposed to do. Just don’t forget to celebrate you. Don’t sit on the sideline watching the quarterback throw the ball to someone who may or may not catch it. You are the quarterback, the coach, shoot, the entire team. I "threw" me out there and I'm still in the air way past the 50 yard line. We have to sow it, reap it, and watch it hang around to bless us at all times. Don't every forget you.

I luv you.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Edge of Your Beginning

  John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I hav...